Molcas Forum

Support and discussions for Molcas and OpenMolcas users and developers

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Molcas forum.

Please note: The forum's URL has changed. The new URL is: https://molcasforum.univie.ac.at. Please update your bookmarks!

You can choose an avatar and change the default style by going to "Profile" → "Personality" or "Display".

#1 2022-10-12 17:05:09

Max.M.K.

[SOLVED] /root is not a valid molcas installation

Hello, I am trying to run a calculation with the following command inside of the submit directory (where I would like the files to be saved):

/root/build/pymolcas  <input file> -f -b 1

This worked for me before, but after recompiling OpenMolcas it gives me this error:
/root is not a valid molcas installation

I need to run the command inside of the build directory for the calculation to start, I have tried configuring my environment with
>>export MOLCAS=/root/build/pymolcas
>>export PATH=/root/build

but I can not get the calculations to start unless I am submitting them from the build directory, this is undesirable as I would like to keep all output files in their respective submit directories. (MOLCAS_OUTPUT does not cover all of the output files for some reason). I don't understand how I messed up the installation.

Last edited by Max.M.K. (2022-10-14 12:47:41)

"Those who are not curious are already dead"
-unknown

#2 2022-10-13 08:12:29

Ignacio
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] /root is not a valid molcas installation

If those ">>export" lines are inside an input file, that's too late. What does "echo $MOLCAS" say in a terminal? It looks like you want it to have the value "/root/build" (not "/root/build/pymolcas"). You can also create (if it doesn't exist) a file ~/.Molcas/molcas, with the same path as the content.

#3 2022-10-13 10:30:44

Max.M.K.

Ignacio wrote:

You can also create (if it doesn't exist) a file ~/.Molcas/molcas, with the same path as the content.

Hi thank you, what do you mean by the content?

-unknown

#4 2022-10-13 10:57:29

Ignacio
Administrator

The content of the file, it should be a text file with a path inside. See https://gitlab.com/Molcas/OpenMolcas/-/ … figuration

#5 2022-10-13 16:42:43

Max.M.K.

I created the file /root/.Molcas/molcas with the content /root/build but it still returns the same error: "/root" is not a valid MOLCAS installation

after running export MOLCAS=/root/build , echo $MOLCAS returns /root/build but the same error still persists

I am really struggling with this for some reason.

Also: is running "make install" necessary? should I run: "make install CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/root/build"?

Last edited by Max.M.K. (2022-10-13 16:54:31)

-unknown

#6 2022-10-14 09:10:44

Ignacio
Administrator

It seems you're doing all as the root user, I hope you know what you're doing...

I don't know what's going on, you could try removing/renaming the ~/.Molcas directory, "make install" is not necessary.

#7 2022-10-14 12:22:58

Max.M.K.

Removing the .Molcas directory just makes echo $MOLCAS return an empty line, then changing the MOLCAS variable to /root/build yet again doesn't solve anything though it makes echo $MOLCAS return /root/build.

calling pymolcas -env from inside the submit directory shows the following
MOLCAS=/root                                                 MOLCAS_DRIVER=/root/build/pymolcas
MOLCAS_SOURCE=/root

But calling pymolcas -env from inside the build directory shows the following:
MOLCAS=/root/build                                           MOLCAS_DRIVER=/root/build/pymolcas
MOLCAS_SOURCE=/root/OpenMolcas

This may give some clue as to what is going on right? I think I finally understand what the error message is saying. But why does the environment of Molcas change based on the directory? This is a massive error in my installation I assume.

-unknown

#8 2022-10-14 12:33:22

Ignacio
Administrator

Do you by any chance have a file called ".molcashome" (note the leading period) in /root? It should probably not be there. Try also with "pymolcas --not-here".

#9 2022-10-14 12:47:03

Max.M.K.

Alright! Deleting .molcashome and running /root/build/pymolcas --not-here from inside the root directory corrected the environment variable inside the submit directory!
pymolcas is correctly being started now!
Thank you so much for the help!!

-unknown

Board footer