Molcas Forum

Support and discussions for Molcas and OpenMolcas users and developers

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Molcas forum.

Please note: The forum's URL has changed. The new URL is: https://molcasforum.univie.ac.at. Please update your bookmarks!

You can choose an avatar and change the default style by going to "Profile" → "Personality" or "Display".

#1 2021-05-12 16:58:07

FAguilar
Website

ALTEr and SUPSym

Dear all,

I'm trying to optimize at CASSCF level the ground state of a complex with a transition metal cation, but I always get a rotation of the active space (one of the d orbitals goes out of the active space and some sigma* orbital of the ligand gets in). I want to keep the d orbitals of the metal and the sigma orbitals (but not the sigma antibonding, due to the huge computational effort). So I tried to use SUPSym to create a new symmetry group that contains all my desired active space (and only these orbitals)

After a SCF single point to get the starting orbitals, I realize that I want to put in the active space orbital #35 and I don't want #32. My first question is, when I'm going to define the orbitals in the new symmetry, should I refer the number to the "old" label of the orbital (same number than if I don't ask for alter, so in this case, #35) or the number should be the one after the alter? (so, in this example, #32)
Here is the example of my input (considering that the label is affected by alter)

&RASSCF
   LumOrb
   Title
   primer casscf
   Spin
   Symmetry
   Nactel
     15 0 0
   Inactive
   Ras2
   CiRoot
     1 1 1
   1 32 35
   SUPSym
   13 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
   ORBAppear
   FULL
   ORBListing
   ALL

And, regarding this extra symmetry group... Is it created locally, right? I mean, if in a later job where I use the orbitals that I'm getting with SUPSym I don't ask for this keyword, my orbitals are going to be able to mix with the others, is it correct? I need to "freeze" the active space when there is a long metal-ligand distance, but at shorter distances, I don't need to impose any restriction, the active space is stable...

Thanks in advance,

Fernando

#2 2021-05-12 18:21:47

Ignacio
Administrator

Re: ALTEr and SUPSym

FAguilar wrote:

My first question is, when I'm going to define the orbitals in the new symmetry, should I refer the number to the "old" label of the orbital (same number than if I don't ask for alter, so in this case, #35) or the number should be the one after the alter? (so, in this example, #32)

I think it should be after alter, i.e. first the orbitals are reordered and then the supsym is applied. But you should double check and try with a fast calculation first wink

And, regarding this extra symmetry group... Is it created locally, right?

Yes, it's only active for that particular RASSCF run as far as I know. I believe the supsym information is saved in the .h5 file, but I don't think it's read (in case you were planning to use .h5 files).

#3 2021-05-12 19:43:58

FAguilar
Website

Re: ALTEr and SUPSym

Thank you very much, Ignacio!!!

Yes, I think it would be a nice idea to check it. Since the calculation with SUPSym won't be the last one, the most important thing is having the correct active space, so it "doesn't matter". For the later CASPT2 single point, I won't impose the extra symmetry, so it won't be a real problem.

Thank you again!

Fernando

Board footer