Molcas Forum

Support and discussions for Molcas and OpenMolcas users and developers

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Molcas forum.

Please note: The forum's URL has changed. The new URL is: https://molcasforum.univie.ac.at. Please update your bookmarks!

You can choose an avatar and change the default style by going to "Profile" → "Personality" or "Display".

#1 2016-03-03 10:40:04

akovacs

Luscus on Windows 7

Hi,

I am not an IT expert and would be grateful for some help in the following problem:

I would like to check some orbitals, hence I installed Luscus on my Windows 7 machine. I created the *.grid file in the Molcas job, but I cannot open it with Luscus. At opening I get the message:

"The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

The file is: C:\Pu.grid   - I cannot imagine any problem with it. I tried also from Desktop, and User1, the same error message.

Additional info about my installation:
I cannot recognise any plugins in the Luscus directory. No subdirectory (e.g. Plugins, I read, there is such a directory in Linux), beyong the luscus.exe and unins* only *.dll files in the Luscus directory. No "grid" in any of the *.dll names.

Right after I selected type .grid for Open, the following warning message appeared in the DOS Window: Could not find the icon 'gtk-file' and 'hicolor' theme, pherhaps I need to install it.
A webpage was given for hicolor, which seems to contain hicolor for Linux.
Confusing: why is it not told clearly, wether I need them or not? If I need them, a source for Windows-suitable items would be more practical than for Linux, as this Luscus is a Windows version.

Many thanks in advance,
Attila

#2 2016-03-03 17:06:26

gkova

Re: Luscus on Windows 7

Hi,

Luscus can 'understand' only luscus file. All other formats are converted by plugins.
The probable reason that luscus can not read grid files is a) missing plugins or b) luscus can't find directory containing plugins.
Plugin for converting grid file to lus file is gridconv.exe

In Windows, liscus searches plugins either in $LUSCUS_DIR directory ($LUSCUS_DIR is an environment variable) or in a $LOCALAPPDATA\luscus if $LUSCUS_DIR is not defined.

There is only one source code for luscus; luscus for Windows is compiled under MINGW environment that enables some of the GNU capability.

#3 2016-03-04 10:23:05

akovacs

Re: Luscus on Windows 7

Thanks Goran for your quick reply. I found the dowloadable plugins on the Molcas webpage with the README file (which I missed previously, as I got the Luscus install file from a different link on the Molcas webpage). According to README I made the necessary changes in the path of the plugin in the plugin.rc file.

Unfortunately, I got the same error message.

Additional info:
- I saved the modified plugin.rc in MS-DOS text mode in order to avoid any changes by Wordpad
- I noticed the in plugin.rc the pathes are given as /c/Users/user01/AppData/Local/luscus, while Windows says c:\Users\user01\AppData\Local\luscus. I tried both, but neither of them worked. By the way, which is correct?
- I copied gridconv.exe to the same directory where Luscus.exe is, to probe whether the program looks for it there: same error.
- My Luscus directory is: c:\Program Files (x86)\Luscus. Is it OK? I read that () may cause syntax problems, but in my case the problem seems to be with the path of plugins, which does not contain (). And Luscus seems to work, I can draw molecules, measure bond distances, etc.
- At the start of Luscus I got at once the warning: Can't find data for calculations. It is not clear what it means: indicates problem with the /c/Users/user01/AppData/Local/luscus directory?

Thanks,
Attila

Board footer