Molcas Forum

Support and discussions for Molcas and OpenMolcas users and developers

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Molcas forum.

Please note: The forum's URL has changed. The new URL is: https://molcasforum.univie.ac.at. Please update your bookmarks!

You can choose an avatar and change the default style by going to "Profile" → "Personality" or "Display".

#1 2020-11-10 16:59:11

chemphys

CASSCF/MCPDFT Geometry Optimization

Hi everyone,
I'm hoping to optimize geometry while running a CASSCF/MCPDFT calculation and not sure if this is the correct set-up.  The output file seems to mention geometry optimization, but then it does not save a final .geo.molden file. 

My project.rasscf.inp file:

&RASSCF &END
NACTel
 3 0 0
Spin
Inactive
Ras2
Ras3
CIRoot
 1 1 1
RLXRoot=  1
Iterations
 200 100
Cholesky
LumOrb

&MCPDFT
  KSDFT=TPBE

End of Input

My submission script:

pymolcas $Project.seward.inp > $Project.seward.log
     ln -fs $Project.RasOrb.S1.old   INPORB
     pymolcas $Project.rasscf.inp > $Project.rasscf.S1.log
     mv *.RasOrb $Project.RasOrb.S1
     mv *.JobIph $Project.JobIph.S1
     rm INPORB

Thanks for any tips!

#2 2020-11-10 17:12:37

Ignacio
Administrator

Re: CASSCF/MCPDFT Geometry Optimization

To do a geometry optimization (with any method) you have to create a loop with SLAPAF, e.g.

&GATEWAY

> Do While

&SEWARD

&RASSCF

&MCPDFT

&SLAPAF

> End Do

#3 2020-11-10 17:21:26

chemphys

Thank you very much!  So I already have a project.seward.inp file, should I put the &SEWARD in this file instead?  If not, will this work for my project.rasscf.inp file, where seward.inp specifies the basis-set in more detail?:

&GATEWAY
Title=  geo-test
Coord=  molecule.xyz
Basis=  DEF2-TZVPPD

> Do While

&SEWARD

&RASSCF &END
  NACTel
   3 0 0
  Spin
  Inactive
  Ras2
  Ras3
  CIRoot
   1 1 1
  RLXRoot=  1
  Iterations
   200 100
  Cholesky
  LumOrb

&MCPDFT
   KSDFT=TPBE

&SLAPAF

> End Do

End of Input

And will this automatically save the steps as a .geo.molden or should I also edit my submission script?

#4 2020-11-10 17:28:04

Ignacio
Administrator

Remove the "End of input" at the end. It should work, provided that is the correct active space, etc. I suggest you try a simple SCF (Hartree-Fock or DFT) optimization first.

#5 2020-11-12 02:49:12

chemphys

Hi, thanks for your help!  Using the code above as project.rasscf.inp (without the "End of Input") I get the following errors in project.rasscf.S1.log:

###############################################################################
 ###                                                                         ###
 ###    WARNING: There were warnings during the execution                    ###
 ###    Please, check the output with care!                                  ###
 ###    Location: AixCheck                                                   ###
 ###    File: ORDINT                                                         ###
 ###    Active unit. Should have been closed!                                ###
--- Stop Module: rasscf at Wed Nov 11 13:05:15 2020 /rc=_RC_INTERNAL_ERROR_ ---
*** files: xmldump
    saved to directory /global/u2/c/claired/Han-Molcas/geo-opt
--- Module rasscf spent 2 seconds ---

>>> END DO

.########################################################.
.# Some internal inconsistency of the code was detected #.
.########################################################.

My submit script is:

pymolcas $Project.seward.inp > $Project.seward.log
     ln -fs $Project.RasOrb.S1.old   INPORB
     pymolcas $Project.rasscf.inp > $Project.rasscf.S1.log
     mv *.RasOrb $Project.RasOrb.S1
     mv *.JobIph $Project.JobIph.S1
     rm INPORB

Is the project.rasscf.inp space-sensitive?  I notice I am not consistent with indentation, could this be causing the problem?  Thanks for your patience and insight!

#6 2020-11-12 14:45:25

Ignacio
Administrator

No, the input doesn't care (mostly) about spaces.

Board footer