Molcas Forum

Support and discussions for Molcas and OpenMolcas users and developers

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Welcome to the Molcas forum.

Please note: The forum's URL has changed. The new URL is: https://molcasforum.univie.ac.at. Please update your bookmarks!

You can choose an avatar and change the default style by going to "Profile" → "Personality" or "Display".

#1 2023-06-13 12:29:11

adamjaros

Memory problem

Dear users,

I've encountered a weird error recently. My calculation was asking for more memory, so I gave it more both through the MOLCAS_MEM variable and SGE queuing system. Interestingly, the calculation fails nevertheless and the output has some contradictory information, see below.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

&RASSCF

only a single process is used
                       available to each process: 300 GB of memory, 1 thread?
                                            pid: 3114309
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Orbital specification was read from input.
?mma_allo_?D: error: out-of-memory
label: CTS
  available (kB):      5199041
  required  (kB):      64990640

According to the output, 300 GB of memory should be available. Instead is says it's limited to 5 GB and asks for 65 GB.

Version is OpenMolcas 23.02, compiled with following:

C Compiler ID: GNU
C flags: -std=gnu99
Fortran Compiler ID: GNU
Fortran flags: -fno-aggressive-loop-optimizations -cpp -fdefault-integer-8 -fmax-stack-var-size=1048576

Can anyone help? Thanks!

#2 2023-06-14 13:12:28

Ignacio
Administrator

Re: Memory problem

The available and required amounts are meant at that particular time in the code, i.e. after allocating some stuff (I guess), there were only 5 GB left, and it needed more. There's no guarantee that if it succeeds everything will be fine, it may still fail when it needs to allocate something else.

Board footer